Madrid beats Bayern away to take control of semifinal

first_imgMadrid’s Marco Asensio, top, celebrates after scoring his side’s second goal during the soccer Champions League first leg semifinal soccer match between FC Bayern Munich and Real Madrid in Munich, southern Germany, Wednesday, April 25, 2018. (Andreas Gebert/dpa via AP)MUNICH — For once, Real Madrid didn’t need Cristiano Ronaldo to score.After finding the net in every Champions League game this season, Ronaldo had to let others grab the spotlight on Wednesday as Madrid ended Bayern Munich’s unbeaten record at home this season with a 2-1 win in the first leg of their Champions League semifinal.ADVERTISEMENT Green group flags ‘overkill’ use of plastic banderitas in Manila Sto. Niño feast Refresher course In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next MOST READ “We’ve taken the first step,” said Madrid captain Sergio Ramos, back to marshal his side’s defense after serving a suspension against Juventus.Bayern had to substitute the injured Arjen Robben and Jerome Boateng in the first half, but the side had plenty of chances to score more goals with Franck Ribery, Robert Lewandowski and Mueller all missing good opportunities.“We didn’t have as many big chances against Hannover last week. Real won 2-1 away, so they have the edge, but we’ll throw everything into it,” Kimmich said of the second leg.Bayern, which is chasing a treble in Jupp Heynckes’ last season in charge, was hoping to make up for last year’s quarterfinal exit to Madrid, and for the Spanish side’s 5-0 aggregate win at the same stage in 2014.Roy Makaay scored the fastest Champions League goal after 10 seconds for Bayern against Madrid in 2007, and Mueller would have rivaled it had he been able to make more of a chance created by Lewandowski.ADVERTISEMENT Jo Koy draws ire for cutting through Cebu City traffic with ‘wang-wang’ The Portuguese star did beat Bayern goalkeeper Sven Ulreich with a spectacular effort in the second half, but what would have been his 16th Champions League goal of the campaign was ruled out for using his arm to control the ball.Instead, Madrid relied on Marcelo and halftime substitute Marco Asensio to produce a comeback after Bayern had gone in front through Joshua Kimmich.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownMarcelo equalized before the interval against the run of play and Asensio then combined with Lukas Vazquez to claim a second away goal for Madrid 12 minutes into the second half.The result puts the two-time defending champions in a favorable position before the second leg in Madrid next Tuesday, though Zinedine Zidane’s side will be wary after conceding three goals at home to Juventus in the previous round. Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. center_img ‘Stop romanticizing Pinoy resilience’ Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Truck driver killed in Davao del Sur road accident P16.5-M worth of aid provided for Taal Volcano eruption victims — NDRRMC Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award “There was a lot more possible,” Mueller said. “That hurts, but also shows that there’s something in the return game. We had to get a much better result. We were too naive.”Rafinha had the first shot on goal in the 19th minute after a cautious start from the visitors, who started with both Gareth Bale and Karim Benzema on the bench.Madrid started to settle midway through the half before Kimmich struck. James Rodriguez played the right-back through as Bayern created a three-on-two. Perhaps expecting a cross, Madrid ‘keeper Keylor Navas was surprised when Kimmich let fly to score inside the far corner.Buoyed by the goal, Bayern’s players suddenly found spaces but Ribery wasted a good opportunity to double the lead.Instead, Marcelo leveled the score shortly before the break. Dani Carvajal headed the ball back into the danger zone, Ronaldo let the ball bounce, and Marcelo let fly with a low shot inside the bottom corner.Bayern missed more chances before the interval, when Asensio came on for Isco to change the course of the game. After Bayern turned the ball over in midfield, Vazquez and Asensio played a one-two before the 22-year-old substitute coolly dispatched the ball past Sven Ulreich.Navas pulled off a brilliant save to deny Ribery, who was again blocked by the ‘keeper five minutes later. Mueller missed an even better chance minutes after that.“The tie is far from over,” Zidane said. “It’s more than possible that Bayern could win in the Bernabeu.” LATEST STORIES Scientists seek rare species survivors amid Australia flames View commentslast_img read more

Broomes insists: “I did nothing wrong”

first_imgas accusations of conflict of interest continued to be levelled against Junior Minister of Natural Resources Simona Broomes over her mining interests and current oversight of the mining sector, the minister came out to defend her integrity and declared that she did nothing wrong by transferring her mining interests to her two children.Broomes’ mining interest came under scrutiny over the weekend after information surfaced suggesting she was granted another Mining Permit H43/MP/000 by the Guyana Geology and Mines Commission.However, the Minister during a news conference at her Brickdam office on Monday morning, claimed that what is being pedalled in the media is part of a “deliberate attempt to besmirch” her character and that of her children.“Why would one want to drag my children through the mud, my children have committed no crime,” she declared and clarified that no new mining permit was granted but rather it was a transfer of her dredge to herJunior Minister of Natural Resources Simona Broomesson, and daughter whose name is also Simona Broomes.“All I have done is transfer a dredge that was in existence for decades. It has nothing to do with a permit… I have done nothing wrong,” the minister declared, adding that she was not responding to any individual attack on her, but rather was just giving clarity to the Guyanese people.“I think that what is circulating out there at this time it is deliberate attempt to besmirch me,” said Broomes.The minister who spent some 28 years as a miner said that while her children continue to operate in the mining sector, there is no preferential treatment, rather, her children are “towing the line.”She noted that should a situation arise which could be deemed a conflict of interest, it will not be handled by her, but will be passed to senior Natural Resources Minister Raphael Trotman.Broomes boasted that prior to becoming a minister, she maintained a spotless character and it is her intention to continue to maintain that character and leave a legacy of transparency and accountability.“It is not an easy task but I have committed. I am one of the female ministers that will stand tall and I will not buckle,” she said.But, while the minister is maintaining there is no conflict of interest since her mining interest are now being handled by her children, many still believe that the fact she is a government minister and more so responsible for the mining sector, it is already a factor that could influence decision in her children’s favour as they remain in the industry.Some transparency and accountability advocates are maintaining that the minister’s decision to transfer her mining interests to her children does not remove the cloud of conflict of interest, since they are in essence managing her business.Many say that Broomes seems to be in breach of the government’s highly-touted Code of Conduct for Ministers, Parliamentarians and other public officials, even before its implementation.The Draft Code of Conduct says that, “a conflict of interest situation arises when the private interests of the public office holder compete or conflict with the interests of the State.”“Private interests” mean both the financial and personal interests of the official and staff or those of their connections including, family and other relations; personal friends; other companies or business interests which they hold or own (both in part or in whole); other clubs and societies to which they belong; and any person to whom they owe a favour or are obligated in any way.On Sunday, political commentator Dr Henry Jeffery contended that the only way those concerns can be eliminated is by completely removing the Minister from the Natural Resources Ministry.“I don’t think Minister Broomes understands clearly what conflict of interest means. I can understand her dilemma being in mining all this time and you know it’s a family business and she is now in the Ministry involved with mining. What she should be asking is for government to remove her from there and put her somewhere else. She could be in another ministry,” Dr Jeffrey stated.Meanwhile, another political commentator and economist Ramon Gaskin reasoned that Broomes’ decision to transfer her mining operations to her children does not put to rest conflict of interest concerns.“That doesn’t solve the problem because when the children go into Guyana Geology and Mines Commission (GGMC) to do business, they know that the children’s mother is the minister, so that really don’t solve the problem,” he explained.Gaskin suggested that the best way to settle the conflict of interest concerns is to set up a blind trust: “You don’t hear from them and they don’t hear from you.They just running it for you and you have nothing to do with it. That’s how you deal with those kinds of situations. Not by giving it to your children and all that nonsense, that doesn’t solve the problem.”A blind trust protects an investor from charges of conflict of interest and other improprieties because its specific assets and trading practices are unknown to the investor.In modern societies, corporate employees and public officials often use blind trusts to avoid charges of insider trading and corruption, respectively.Despite these allegations against the minister, there has been no official statement from government regarding this issue.last_img read more

Abandoned School in Remote Panta District Gets Modern Housing for Teachers

first_imgAn exterior view of the modern teachers’ quarters for the Corporal G. Woah Public High School in Panta District, upper Bong CountyAs in many parts of the country, the Corporal G. Woah Public High School in the remote Panta District, Upper Bong County, has not been opened ever since it was dedicated in 2014, and the district’s authorities in collaboration with authorities at the Ministry of Education are having difficulty to find teachers, because of lack housing facilities.The School, with an enrollment of more female students, is also having a hard time recruiting and keeping qualified teachers. Vacancies are often filled by volunteers of substitute teachers, and the isolated location deters many of the newly recruited teachers.In order to tackle and motivate qualified teachers against the struggle, Bong County District #4 Representative, Robert Flomo Womba, has constructed four apartments; each self-contained with bathroom facilities, closet and a porch, as well as basic furniture — queen-size mattress, a table and chairs. The apartments also have a generator to provide electricity.On Saturday, May 18, 2019, the teachers’ quarters were dedicated in Bellemu, Panta District, when the Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives cut the ribbon to the facilities.Partial view of the Corporal G. Woah Public High School, which has not been occupied since it was dedicated in 2014.Panta District has about 10,300 residents. However, statistics show that because of the lack of a public senior high school since the district was created by an act of the legislature, some of the students, who finished elementary level, either walked over four hours to Zota District to attain public secondary education or choose another area.Panta District, which contained at least 30 towns and villages, is one of the two statutory districts in Bong County District #4.During the dedication ceremony, which was held in the school auditorium, the District Lawmaker, Robert Flomo Womba, said the construction of the teachers’ quarters is in fulfillment of one of his electoral promises to develop minds of the youth.Womba said he has passion to add value to those, who contributed to his education.“Besides the dearth of modern teachers’ quarters, the lack of better incentives for qualified teachers was attributed to the shortage of assigned teachers in the rural areas.Rep. Womba, a Unity Party Lawmaker, expressed the wish that the construction of the teachers’ quarters would motivate qualified teachers to come and teach at the school.Representatives Prince Moye, Robert Flomo Womba and education officials at the event.“Prior to my ascendancy as Representative for this district, I was always interested in development, and so I want to empower the young people. This is one of the reasons I constructed the teachers’ quarters in the rural area,” Rep. Womba said.House Deputy Speaker Prince K. Moye, expressed gratitude to Rep. Womba for constructing the free-four departments as teachers’ quarters.“I was quite impressed when I saw that the buildings were so amazing and remarkably well-done,” Moye said.Margibi County Senator Jim Tornolah, also expressed gratefulness to Rep. Womah. He and other educational stakeholders thanked Rep. Womba for the teachers’ quarters. They promised to ensure that the Corporal G. Wloh Public High School will remain open to the public.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Kesto testifies on plan to help victims report crime

first_img Categories: Kesto News,Kesto Photos,News,Photos 18Apr Kesto testifies on plan to help victims report crime PHOTO INFORMATION: State Rep. Klint Kesto, chair of the House Law and Justice Commitee, today testified before the panel on his plan to prohibit anyone in a position of authority from preventing an individual from reporting a crime, including criminal sexual conduct. The legislation was submitted in response to the recent Larry Nassar scandal.#####last_img