Jun 30, 2004 (CIDRAP News) – Three months after Vietnam declared itself free of avian influenza, the disease has struck there again, causing the loss of at least 4,500 chickens in a southern province, according to news services.A Reuters report today said chickens on three farms in the Mekong Delta province of Bac Lieu died or were destroyed after testing positive for an H5 avian flu virus.Reports did not specify the N (neuraminidase) number for the virus, leaving unclear whether it was identical to the H5N1 strain blamed for the widespread outbreaks in Vietnam and seven other Asian countries earlier this year.Local animal health officials said all tested birds from the affected farms carried the H5 virus, according to the Reuters story and a report by Xinhua, China’s state news agency.Anton Rychener, Vietnam representative for the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, said the new outbreak is not surprising and “is nothing to panic about,” according to Reuters.Last week, a Vietnamese agricultural official said 10,000 poultry from throughout Vietnam had been tested for avian flu, and many of the samples were positive for an H5 virus. The comments by Nguyen Van Thong were published in a Jun 27 Agence France-Presse report. He said the precise strain of the virus could not be identified.Vietnamese officials declared the country free of avian flu on Mar 30. A small outbreak of H5N1 avian flu was reported in the southern province of Dong Thap in early May.In the outbreaks earlier in the year, the disease jumped to humans, causing 23 cases with 16 deaths in Vietnam, according to reports from the Vietnamese government. However, the World Health Organization (WHO) has confirmed only 22 cases with 15 deaths. The disease killed or prompted the destruction of 43 million poultry in Vietnam.
RELATED NEWS: “Appearances at this year’s fairs and presentations in our strongest markets – Germany, Austria, Italy and Slovenia – gave us a good insight into the beginning of this tourist year and what tourism workers in Kvarner can expect. Although the tourist year 2019 will be challenging for many destinations, the announcements of our partners confirm that the interest of guests, especially from Germany, for Kvarner will not wane”Concludes Perišić Živadinov. Even according to the announcements of Kvarner hoteliers, representatives of camps and a large number of employees from the tourism sector in general, which preceded Easter, good and positive numbers were expected in Kvarner. And that came true. According to the official data of the eVisitor system, during 4 holidays (from Good Friday to Easter Monday) there were 28.500 guests in Kvarner who spent 99.000 nights, which is even 100% more when compared to the Easter holidays in 2018. In hotels, most of which were opened on the Opatija Riviera, almost half of overnight stays (49.000) were realized. 23.000 overnight stays were realized in household facilities, and 22.000 overnight stays in camps, mostly on the Kvarner islands. Most overnight stays were realized on the island of Krk (32.300), followed by the Opatija Riviera (23.400), the island of Lošinj (15.500), the Crikvenica-Vinodol Riviera (10.000), Rijeka and its surroundings (6.300), the island of Rab (5.500), and the island of Cres. (5.300) and in Gorski kotar (850). Guests from Germany, Croatia, Austria, Italy and Slovenia stayed in more than 100 open hotels and as many as 25 camps, as well as a large number of holiday homes and apartments. At the same time, German guests realized 25% of the total number of overnight stays, while domestic guests and guests from Austria realized 14% of the total number of overnight stays, and guests from Italy 11%. That a record number of guests stayed in Kvarner during Easter this year is also proven by comparisons with 2017 or 2016. So this year there were 37% more overnight stays compared to 2017, when the Easter holidays were in the same period of April and even an incredible 147% more compared to 2016, when the Easter holidays fell at the end of March. Namely, Kvarner continues with positive tourist results in the pre-season period, which is the main goal of all Kvarner tourist workers in the last few years, and in the first 4 months of this year it is currently recording 10% more overnight stays. From year to year, the Kvarner Tourist Board, together with the system of tourist boards and our tourist economy, the main focus is to create motives for the arrival of guests in Kvarner in the pre- and post-season, says the director of the Kvarner Tourist Board, Ph.D. Irene Peršić Živadinov adds: “In the last 8 years, if we look only at the pre-season periods, we are talking about a jump of as much as 90%, while in the total number of overnight stays for the same period we have achieved an increase of 50%. This pronounced trend of increasing the number of guests, both foreign and domestic, shows us that we have a well-established Development Strategy on which our activities and programs are based, with an emphasis on filling the period outside the main summer tourist season.” OVER HALF A MILLION NIGHTS WERE ACHIEVED DURING THE EASTER HOLIDAYS OPERATIONAL PLAN FOR DEVELOPMENT OF CYCLOTURISM IN KVARNER SIGNED
Queensland’s local elections came as confirmed virus cases in Australia rose above 3,500 with 14 deaths. AFP The state’s top health official said itwas safe to vote in person as long as people followed social distancingguidelines. CANBERRA – People in the Australianstate of Queensland were urged to vote in local elections on Saturday or face afine of Aus$133 ($80), as polls went ahead despite most citizens beingencouraged to stay home to stem the spread of the coronavirus. “There’s no risk here, we’ve got toremember the risk of people going to the shops is far, far higher,”Jeannette Young told reporters. (AFP)
Four plead guilty to 2019 Masters ticket scam, agree to pay $275K in restitution Putting your phone on silent.A fan tutorial with @WestwoodLee 🤳 pic.twitter.com/lW8Z5hEuks— The European Tour (@EuropeanTour) June 21, 2019Westwood, a 24-time European Tour winner, is in good position heading into the weekend. He is currently tied for fifth place (7 under) and just four strokes back of the solo leader Martin Kaymer.Westwood last won at the Nedbank Golf Challenge in November and is currently ranked as the eighth winningest golfer across the pond. The European Tour event features some notable international players including Lee Westwood, who had to stop mid-swing during the second round of the tournament after hearing a patron’s ringer.While he seemed visibly upset on the course, Westwood said “that’s all right, just turn it off,” and continued his round. Related News There’s quite a few rules in golf, but one of the biggest rules spectators must follow is turning their phones on silent while following their favorite golfers at a tournament.One fan forgot to do that at the BMW International Open. Phil Mickelson’s realization: ‘Probably … not going to win the U.S. Open’ After he completed play at Golfclub München Eichenried in Moosinning, Germany, he gave a quick tutorial in case anyone was confused on course etiquette.”Much like golf, people overcomplicate things, but it really is this simple,” Westwood says before silencing his own phone. Gary Woodland’s U.S. Open win puts Americans close to first major sweep since 1982