About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Adama Traore tells Wolves fans: I can go quickerby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveWolves winger Adama Traore insists fans are yet to see him in top gear.Adama is so fast that Olympic sprinting champion Darren Campbell – a consultant during Traore’s spell at Middlesbrough – once advised him to slow down, and who is now regularly clocked at 22mph at Wolves. “I’ve always been quick, ever since I was little,” Traore says, having just scorched the earth at Wolves’ Compton training ground. “People are thinking I am running so fast on the pitch, but I think it’s slow. I am deliberately holding back and I could be even quicker.”At Middlesbrough, Darren told me that I didn’t need to run at 100 per cent as I didn’t realise how fast I was. I can beat players at 70 per cent and this will then give me time to think about what to do next.”I want to get people on the edge of their seats, get past players, try to show my skills and pace.”
EDMONTON – Dylan Ferris decided to dig a little deeper for his high school social studies project, which he’s dedicated to the lives of soldiers in the First World War.Ferris isn’t just writing a report. The 15-year-old has built a trench in his backyard complete with sandbags, has borrowed a replica uniform and is even sleeping below ground in freezing temperatures.The idea is to recognize the ordeal soldiers faced and understand the sacrifices they made.“My mum wasn’t too keen on it because it’s her vegetable garden, or it was her vegetable garden. Now it’s a hole,” explained Ferris, who said his mother insisted he come inside Wednesday night when the mercury dipped below -10C.As an air cadet, Ferris visited the Canadian National Vimy Memorial in France last year for a ceremony to mark the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge.But getting his mother to agree to a trench in the yard wasn’t easy. His chief tactic, he explained, was to propose even more outlandish and dangerous projects so the trench would seem tame by comparison.Among them was a home-built airplane. A flame-thrower was another idea he pitched.Next, he had to excavate the dirt. The ground was frozen solid, so help was required from a family friend with a propane heater. Together, they used tarps and pallets to construct a covering to make the ground soft enough to dig.For the clothes, the Loyal Edmonton Regiment Museum loaned Ferris a uniform from the First World War that they allow museum visitors to try on.Even with the cold temperatures there’s mud everywhere — on the steps to his house, on the landing and in the garage. Ferris cleans it up, but everything quickly gets dirty again.It’s spring break from school right now and Ferris said his plan is to attempt 24 continuous hours in his trench.He spent six hours in it Sunday night, bundled in a vintage sleeping bag and using a sandbag as a pillow. His friend slept nearby in a camper van, and for added authenticity, lobbed mudballs at Ferris to encourage him to keep his head down.Ferris said he enjoys reading in the trench during the day. But he said it’s eerie at night, giving him a glimpse of what soldiers endured a century ago.“I don’t think it can be truly representative, but when I was in there, there’s a lot of truth to the war songs, ‘Oh, I want to go home,’ and ‘Long Way to Tipperary,’” he said.“It’s cold, it’s wet, it’s miserable and, you know, the house is right there. It’s just a longing for home, I guess. Even when it’s right there.”Ferris said he hopes to get a good mark on his project. He may even still build an airplane this summer.“I think the trench will stay there until my mum says I want my vegetable garden back and I have to fill it in.”
So far, over the weekend, the Cadets have raised approximately $15,000 for the poppy campaign.Nicoll hopes this trend will continue throughout the campaign and he feels that it all depends on the day and location of where the cadets are campaigning.This year’s campaign goal is to raise $45,000, up $10,000 more than last year’s campaign.The Canadian Legion invites everyone across the country to show their recognition and respect by proudly wearing this symbol of Remembrance and taking a moment to reflect. From now to November 11 the City of Fort St. John will also fly a Poppy Campaign Flag at City Hall.Remembrance Day ceremonies in Fort St. John takes place Sunday, November 11, with a parade at 10 a.m. starting at the legion. A service will follow in the legion auditorium. FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The annual Remembrance Day Poppy Campaign is going strong in the first half of this year’s fundraiser.Capt. Greg Nicoll of the Fort St. John Army Cadets, says the campaign is off to a great start.“We’ve been doing very well. Good turnout from the cadets and the public has been really generous”, said Nicoll. Each year the Legion relies on volunteers to help sell poppies at stores all around the community. For more info or to volunteer call Tina at 250-261-9996.
Former Ohio State All-American cornerback Malcolm Jenkins is in the same boat as every other NFL player: locked out of football. With time on his hands, Jenkins might get his creative juices flowing. “I was up at Ohio State’s practice, lobbying to get a coaching job,” Jenkins said. “Either coaching or I’ve been watching a lot of HGTV. I might try to get into some interior designing or something.” Locked out for more than a month, the NFL and the NFL Players Association have yet to reach an agreement on collective bargaining. “Every player is enjoying the time off,” Jenkins said, “not having as many responsibilities as far as mandatory workouts, to be able to take some time off and be with family, stuff like that.” Jenkins, who plays for the New Orleans Saints, said the urge to get back to his usual spring schedule is starting to grow. “Guys are wanting to get together and do our own workouts together, just get back to football,” Jenkins said. “Guys are starting to itch and want to get back on the field.” If the NFL lockout does not end and Jenkins can’t find a different job, he said he will be able to survive without a paycheck for a while, though he fears that some won’t be as financially comfortable. “We’ve known about this for two years now,” Jenkins said. “Me personally, I’ve prepared for it. But I know for a fact that there are some guys who may not have saved like they needed to. “It will impact some guys, but hopefully over the last few years, guys have followed the plan and been smart with their money.” Something players might not be prepared for is human growth hormone testing, which NFL commissioner Roger Goodell says must be part of the new collective bargaining agreement. The test, which would require blood to be drawn, has received criticism, both positive and negative, from the NFL players and their union. Jenkins said he wasn’t sure what was involved in HGH testing but that he can understand why some players are against it. “I talked to someone yesterday who said they had to take blood,” he said. “When you do that, you get tired. If you get a surprise HGH test on a Friday and you’ve got to play on a Sunday, that can have some effect on your performance.” Jenkins said he doesn’t think HGH is a problem in the NFL. “I don’t think our league is played with that,” he said. “I don’t see (HGH testing as) necessary.” Jenkins said he thinks there will be football but that he doesn’t know if it will be in time for teams to prepare the way they normally do. “Depending on how long this thing goes, if you miss the whole offseason, from a teaching and learning standpoint, young players don’t get as much time as they usually have,” Jenkins said. “We’re really going to have to go back to the basics because there’s no spring ball or (anything) like that. “Rookie players, the chances of them making it shrinks. They have less time to make that learning curve.” Although no one is sure of a time frame for players to get back to work, Jenkins said he’s confident that it is a matter of when football starts rather than if it starts. “There’s a good chance for football,” he said. “I think there’s going to be football.”
Arsenal manager Unai Emery has shared his thoughts on new signings Bernd Leno & Lucas Torreira after handing them their first starts in the club’s 4-2 win over Vorskla PoltavaEmery made eight changes to his line-up for Arsenal’s Group E opener against Poltava in the Europa League with summer recruits like midfielder Torreira, full-back Stephan Lichtsteiner and goalkeeper Bernd Leno all being included.Speaking after winning a record 32nd game in the competition, Emery shared his thoughts on how well Torreira and Leno are adapting to his style.“Well, Lucas is playing with his progress on the team and on our ideas, our performance with a passion and with a performance. Each minute he is playing, he is doing very well,” Emery told the club website.Merson believes Arsenal should sign Sancho Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho might be the perfect player to play for the Gunners, according to former England international Paul Merson.“And for Leno, it’s the first match also. I think that we conceded two goals but not for a mistake [from him].“For him, it takes minutes for the game and confidence for continuing also because he will be continuing to play matches in the next week.A brace from Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang along with goals from Danny Welbeck and Mesut Ozil ensured Arsenal of a win.The Gunners will next face Everton at the Emirates on Saturday’s Premier League fixture.
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppNassau, 05 Jan 2015 – (via the Bahamas Information Services) – The Cabinet wishes to announce for public information the following:Sunday 10 January is Majority Rule Day, marking the 49th Anniversary of the first government which the majority of the country elected on a one man one vote basis. To mark this occasion the holiday will be celebrated on Monday 11th January.On Saturday 9th January at 7 pm in Rawson Square, there will be a free live concert of the music of Freddie Munnings Sr., the late owner of the Cat and the Fiddle night club, featuring his songs about the city of Nassau, under the direction of Fred Ferguson. Mr. Munnings, the late owner of the famous Cat and the Fiddle Nightclub, was one of the champions of the fight for Majority Rule through his activism, his money and his music. The Governor General Dame Marguerite Pindling and the Prime Minister Rt. Hon Perry Christie MP are expected to attendThen on Sunday 10th January, there will be a ceremony marking the day with the laying of a wreath at the tomb of the late Sir Lynden Pindling by the Governor General in St. Agnes Cemetery on Nassau Street.Both events are free and open to the public.Each month over the next year there will be a special event dedicated to the commemoration of Majority Rule Day leading up to a grand event to mark the 50th year in 2017. Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:cat and the fiddle, majority rule day Majority Rule Day Holiday in Bahamas today
Some of the most anticipated tech for 2019 85 Photos Tags Now playing: Watch this: 0 CES 2019: See all of CNET’s coverage of the year’s biggest tech show. CES schedule: It’s six days of jam-packed events. Here’s what to expect. Post a comment All the cool new gadgets at CES 2019 OptiShokz Revvez audio sunglasses from all angles Bone-conduction headphones, which transmit sound through your cheekbones (or in this case, through the cartilage behind your ear), don’t sound as good as traditional headphones, but they’ve improved a lot over the years and AfterShokz makes arguably the best bone-conduction headphones. I doubt these will sound quite as good as the Bose Frames (which I’ve tried) but they should sound decent and be appealing to runners and bikers who want to hear traffic around them for safety reasons. Also, for those entering race events that prohibit the use of headphones that block your ears, these audio sunglasses would be a good option. As soon as I get some hands-on time with an early unit I’ll update this post with my impressions of their audio performance. Until then, here are the OptiShokz Revvez’ key features: First sunglasses with transducers positioned to transmit sound through the cartilage behind your ear, providing the best bass response and volume. Bendable two-position titanium temple arms Water and sweat resistant (IP55 certified) Each pair includes three interchangeable silicone rubber nose pads to ensure a comfortable fit Five lenses to choose from: Polarized Grey, REVO Blue, Gradient Grey, Transparent and Bright YellowLenses are interchangeable and molded in Teijin polycarbonate (glasses come with your choice of one lens, and additional lenses are sold separately) Open design leaves ears open and allows you to hear the outside world while listening to audio 6-hour battery life You can charge fully in less than 2 hours Bluetooth 4.2Dual noise-canceling microphones eliminate external noise while enhancing speech volume for phone calls Price: $179, with early-bird pricing of $99 (no word on international pricing) Available around June, though no ship date has been confirmed CES 2019 Enlarge Image AfterShokz In the coming weeks Bose is set to ship its Frames audio AR sunglasses, but if you’re looking for sportier spectacles that have integrated audio, you should keep your eye on the upcoming OptiShokz Revvez bone-conduction audio sunglasses from AfterShokz. Designed to allow cyclists, runners, hikers, golfers, skiers and others to listen to audio and make calls on the go while maintaining “ambient sound awareness,” the OptiShokz Revvez are launching via an Indiegogo campaign on Feb. 19, the company announced Monday here at CES. There are five lens options — the lenses are interchangeable — and early-bird pricing has been set at $99 or a 45 percent discount off the Revvez’ list price of $179. Alas, there’s no prescription lens option. They’re due to ship around June, although delays are always possible. Headphones 58 Photos Share your voice 1:07 CES Products Bose
Syed A Jamal, a Bangladeshi-origin US chemist embraces his children. A screen-gran taken from a video on kansascity.Syed A Jamal, a Bangladeshi-origin US chemist studying and working in Kansas for 30 years, has been freed from jail, according to kansascity.com.The 55-year-old chemist was arrested by ICE in his front yard on 24 January for overstaying his visa and he was about to be deported to Bangladesh, reports say.Jamal walked out of Platte County jail Tuesday, so suddenly and quickly that no family was there, wrote kansascity.com. He was reportedly greeted instead by waiting reporters. His family joined him later.Jamal’s release came hours after it was ordered by a US District Court judge in Kansas City, pending the outcome of his deportation case with Immigration and Customs Enforcement, said the report.”It’s a tough situation,” he acknowledged, though he appeared relaxed and confident.The judge took into account more than 110 days Jamal has served in jail since 2012.Referring to Jamal’s three US-born children, she said, “I made a promise to those kids to bring their dad home.”His latest permit extended to October 2018, but that allowance was rescinded by ICE when agents arrested Jamal outside his home on the way to taking his daughter to school, said the report.Jamal’s story went viral after friends and family launched an online petition for a stay of his deportation, the report recalled.The Change.org site had reportedly garnered 108,000 as of Monday. Since 2 February, a GoFundMe campaign has raised nearly $75,000 for the family, for whom Jamal is the sole breadwinner.
Sylhet City Corporation LogoThe voting of two centres which were suspended due to massive rigging and irregularities, will be held on 11 August, reports UNB.Deputy secretary of Election Commission (EC) Farhad Hossain confirmed the matter and said the returning officer of Sylhet has been already directed after finalising the date.The suspended two centres are – Shah Gazi Syed Borhanuddin Madrasa with 2,221 voters and Habinandi Government Primary School with 2566 voters.Earlier on 30 July, Sylhet City Corporations (SCC) election was held at 134 centres while voting of two centres was suspended amid rigging, ouster of polling agents and other irregularities.BNP mayoral candidate Ariful Haque Chowdhury bagged 90,496 votes in 132 centers out of total 134 while AL’s Badar Uddin Ahmed Kamran got 85,870 votes.Barishal and Rajshahi city corporation elections were also held on 30 July.Awami League mayoral candidates were declared elected in Rajshahi and Barishal city polls while the announcement of the results was postponed in Sylhet as the number of votes in two centres where voting was suspended is higher than the difference between the two leading candidates’ tallies.
Corey Perrine/APBill Cosby leaves his sexual assault trial at the Montgomery County Courthouse, on Monday, April 9, 2018, in Norristown, Pa.Attorneys for Bill Cosby were expected Tuesday to portray a $3.4 million civil settlement with the comedian’s accuser, Andrea Constand, as evidence of her greed.On the first day of the retrial on Monday in Norristown, Pa., prosecutors revealed the previously secret settlement that Cosby, now 80, paid in 2006, two years after Constand alleges he drugged and sexually assaulted her at his home near Philadelphia. Cosby has denied the charges.A previous trial last spring ended in a deadlocked jury.The Associated Press writes: “Cosby lawyer Tom Mesereau has signaled he intends to use the settlement to argue that Andrea Constand falsely accused the man once revered as ‘America’s Dad’ in hopes of landing a big payoff.”Mesereau has said the jury will learn “just how greedy” Constand was, according to the AP.Constand is a former Temple University employee who was working for the women’s basketball team there when she met Cosby. She now works as a massage therapist in Ontario, Canada.Montgomery County District Attorney Kevin Steele, told the courtroom that Cosby and Constand had become friends and that he gave her career advice.“I talk about trust that was built over time, that was built by the defendant,” said Steele, as quotes from a 2005 deposition Cosby gave flashed on a large screen in front of the jury, writes Laura Benshoff of member station WHYY. According to Benshoff:“In one statement, Cosby said he developed a romantic interest in Constand ‘probably the first time I saw her.’Steele said that proves that when Cosby befriended Constand and gave her career advice, he had an ulterior motive.”She adds:” … a topless protester who ran in front of a bank of cameras towards Cosby was arrested and charged with a summary offense.The protester, 38-year-old Nicolle Rochelle, is an actress and performance artist who had a guest role on The Cosby Show as a preteen. Police tackled her into a hedge and took her away in handcuffs.”Copyright 2018 NPR. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/. Share